16 September 2012

Fan Fiction Review #013: The Cold Hand of Mercy


Spangle: "Umm...this is a new guy, so be nice to him OK? Or don't...I'm sure he has thick enough skin being in the military, right? You know what? Forget I said anything. I'm going back to my corner now."

Author: Staeg Masque
In the prime of her life, Fluttershy is contacted by a stallion named Blanche, who comes to her as she sees a bunny she was tending to, Hector, off into the mysterious place Blanche introduces as The Ever. He tells her that she must now take on the mantle of Death in his stead, as the decision is already made and cannot be reversed. Fluttershy is forced to accept, and learns many lessons about the true nature of Kindness, in all its facets, what Death really represents, and whether being Death is truly a bad thing.
The Cold Hand of Mercy

Why isn't this titled 'The Cold Hoof of Mercy?'  Geez. Review after the break!


Well good evening, or whatever time it is in your part of the world fillies and gentle-colts, I'm Lt. Sage, and that is enough about me for now. On to the story.

For starters, if you can't read this fic in one sitting (it's 36,304 words), I'd highly recommend waiting until you can. The tag 'Sad' really hits home, and if you go about your day without wrapping up the story, you'll most likely be lost in a world of 'How could this happen to poor Fluttershy?' At several points I found myself getting up from my computer to pace the room and think over what had just happened to grasp it fully.

A short background to the story: Fluttershy is met by Death (for most intents and purposes the grim reaper) and told that he has picked her to be his successor. Yes, there is a second choice, and that is just to die. She accepts the former, and as of such, she will become invisible to all creatures of Equestria except those who are about to die. Death being a generous fellow, she gets to say goodbye to all her friends, with the catch that she can't tell them where she is going. The rest of the story follows Fluttershy as she comes to terms with the job of being Death, with a little side of her friends attempting to find out what happened to her. She spends the following years keeping tabs on their lives as she grows into her role as Death. Oh, and there are no large scythes involved, which really is a plus. Really...Fluttershy is best as herself, not as some dark reaper.

While rather brief on scenery description, what was really good was how emotionally vivid the trip through the mind of Fluttershy was. It was like living in her mind for the story, every hope of hers was yours, and even sorrow you felt she would share (yes I realize this is sappy).

The author does a fantastic job of portraying the rest of the mane six as they would most likely act in the sudden and unexplained disappearance of one of their number, to the point where I found myself mentally cheering along with their successes and face-palming at their failures. As the story wears on, the characters are forced to cope with loss, each in their own way. While this rarely happens in show, their personalities are revealed well in their time of sorrow. They all bounce back in one form or another, in ways that I've personally seen people deal with their grief. I'm partial to the Applejack approach: work harder until the pain goes away. As is inevitable, and perhaps a little predictable, each of her friends gets to see Fluttershy once again...on their deathbeds.

While such a progression is somewhat guessable, and the ending not too difficult to see coming, I have to applaud the parallels the story draws with itself, almost to a chilling extent. Some would call it predictable, others a good literary technique, but it falls about halfway between the two. If you're the kind of reader that tries to get swept up in the story, it will sit real well with you. If you like picking at a story as you go along, especially for being predictable, the last three chapters might tweak you a little.

The hardest part for me was that if I got offered that same chance, I'd have a LOT of fun with it (yes I want a big scythe along with the title), which more than likely means I'm not trying hard enough to enjoy the Fluttershy perspective.  

The ratings:

Originality: 4/5
Composition: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Imagery: 3/5
Plot: 3/5

Overall: 4/5


A little scrap to leave with you with before I go (not from the story, but I figure it would happen at one point or another if this were made into a novel):

“Uhm...excuse me, I need to take your soul...erm...if that's ok with you that is...”